[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Sun Nov 14 23:30:09 EST 2004

I just looked at that SAGE link, and that was *REALLY* reassuring.  With all
the AIX and VMS and other stuff being mentioned, I was getting scared I was
out of my depth totally.

The top 2-3 descriptions on the SAGE site are exactly what I'm working with
right now...I have a small amount of sysadmin experience, great interpersonal
skills and communication (I AM, after all, a Corporate Communications major)
and I know desktop/user type systems well.  What's lacking for me at the
moment is experience and time working with large, enterprise server systems
and the associated software.

Plus, I'm extremely motivated to move ahead, so I'll learn stuff as fast as is
humanly possible, work extra hours, etc.  :-)

Thanks Jerald, your response gave me a little hope that places do hire guys
that aren't already *NIX gurus with ten years of AIX/VMS/Solaris experience.
Whew!

-Jay