[ale] OT: Court tomorrow

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 23:01:11 EST 2004

Having not seen what actually happened, all I can offer is this:
"Following too closely" is indeed a catch-all and is typically tossed at
anyone who rear-ends anyone else.  However, the logic behind that is
that you should be able to get your car stopped without hitting anyone
even if the car in front of you pulls the worst-case scenario, i.e, the
car comes to an immediate dead stop right in front of you.  You can
deflect the charge only if you can show - or at least persuasively
assert - that something about the circumstances would have worked
against a reasonable person with a fast foot *and* a sufficient stopping
distance.  For instance, if the car didn't have working brake lights,
costing you some time to react, or if the car had been to the front and
side of you and then *became* too close in front of you because it
changed lanes and you didn't have time to drop back before it tried to
stop/turn/etc.

Other standard disclaimers:  Only address the judge and do so
pleasantly.  I don't *really* believe that a judge has only the
"interest of his employer" to look after.  There's no reason to expect
that he will try to be anything but fair.  If you assert that the woman
didn't signal the turn, you *may* get the benefit of the doubt unless,
of course, you come off as a jerk.

Jeff