[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

James S. Cochrane cochrane at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 14 01:51:06 EST 2004

I'll take a different track here.  For one thing, I DON'T administer
primarily Linux boxes, largely because it's still difficult to convince
some folks in management at big companies to give it a try.

1)  Know the structure of Unix systems, from the primary filesystems and
their uses to where various common applications (sendmail, apache, etc)
like to have configuration files.
2)  Have a basic understanding of C, you may never program in it, but it's
VERY helpful to understanding how Unix works and particularly understanding
some of the technical publications you'll find yourself accumulating.
3)  I don't have the purple book, I have multiple editions of Essential
System Administration.  After almost nine years, I mainly use it to remind
myself of how to do things on OS's I haven't touched in a while, and even
there I'm frequently dealing with stuff beyond the scope of ANY general
Unix admin book.
4)  bash, ksh, and perl are all good to know, learn at least the basics of
csh because some vendors still use it.
5)  Know how to do tasks manually, but your boss will be much more
impressed if you can walk in and setup a boot/install server for your
environment to speed deployment of new or replacement systems, whether it's
kickstart, jumpstart, NIM, etc...
6)  Understand that very FEW companies really do IT right, and get used to
living with it, and learning how to make do.  Linux can be helpful here, IF
you're careful about it.  You'd be amazed how many companies will spend
large chunks of money to hire people and then give them crappy equipment to
do their jobs with.
7)  Document, document, document.  There are too many details that go on
for anyone to remember them all, good documentation can save your @ss, poor
documentation can kill you.  At minimum, document your preferred method of
building servers, how you back them up, how you plan to recover them, what
changes to default configurations you make, etc..  3am is NOT the time to
try to remember that little change you made to a server six months
ago...  A good change management system can be an aid to proper documentation.
8)  Know the impact to the company of the servers you administer.  If your
power guys screw up and you've got to recover multiple systems, which ones
do you concentrate on first?
9)  Learn how to speak to noncomputer people.  I've seen a LOT of good
ideas get shot down because the IT person wasn't putting it in language
that management understood.
10)  Getting into IT isn't as easy as it once was, and the dream jobs are
fewer and harder to find.  Don't expect to be making megabucks to start, or
even after a few years (hell, I'd like to get back to what I was making in
1999, and I've been doing this a while).   Be prepared to sweat (skull
sweat at least), and realize that most sysadmins spend a fair portion of
their time worrying about hardware as much as software.   Even if you have
a support contract, most of the big vendors have cut their support
engineers back to the point that it'll frequently be faster to do stuff
yourself, especially for new installations.  And don't count on the support
engineer REALLY knowing what they're doing, many of them are little more
than parts-swappers and don't know how to REALLY troubleshoot a problem
down to the true root cause.
11) Do NOT exaggerate your experience when trying to get a job.  If I'm
doing a technical interview, and someone tells me they're a certified
Solaris administrator, but they can't explain disk slicing, I'll downcheck
them.  If they can't create a tar file of multiple specific directories or
subdirectories, I won't believe they have prior system administration
experience, and will downcheck them.  I'd rather hire someone who shows
interest and initiative and has little commercial experience than someone
who has commercial experience but can't handle situations that weren't
covered in a vendor training class.  If I ask what kind of computers you
run at home, you need to at LEAST have a dual-boot system, if you don't
have multiple systems on different OS's.

James