[ale] ALE booth at LISA

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Sun Nov 14 00:41:13 EST 2004

To be intellectually honest: they aren't charging $30 because they are
union. They are charging $30 because that's what's specified in their
collective bargaining agreement. They have a CBA because they are
organized.

I know that seems like an immaterial distinction, but the alternative is
this: without the CBA between GWCC and whichever union it is (I'm
guessing United Service Workers of America, which is affiliated with the
Teamsters, but I could be wrong), there would be little to stop GWCC
from employing a bunch of dudes, with greencards or US citizenship, of
course (wink-nod), willing to do it for minimum wage. IMHO, that's
little different that offshoring a call center; a practice that has
generated much indignation on this list in the past.

Why can't you wheel it in yourself you ask? Well, because you might be
just a private individual wheeling your own stuff in, or you could be
part of a concerted effort on the part of the management to break the
union (in violation of federal law).

At any rate, I'm not trying to pick a fight about whether not unions
have their place or not in today's society (so lets not start a flame
war here), but I know that if the educational oppurtunity lottery had
worked out differently, and I made my living carrying heavy stuff for
someone else, I know I'd enjoy the protections of a CBA like the one in
place at GWCC.

At any rate, I'll be at LISA on my employer's tab Wednesday, Thursday
and Friday. I'll try to stop by the ALE booth, and maybe bring along
some of my Linux minded co-workers.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy