[ale] Next proxy question

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Nov 12 15:17:01 EST 2004

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

    Christopher> My proxy server is 192.168.3.1:8181 and will only
    Christopher> proxy to machines across a wan via dial-up and vtun.
    Christopher> I need from IE somehow use that proxy on a temp basis
    Christopher> without having to go into proxy setup each time a
    Christopher> user needs access to those machines.

    Christopher> One idea was to try this:

    Christopher> http://192.168.3.1:8181/10.0.5.176/

    Christopher> That does not even look right.  Is there any way to
    Christopher> use a proxy server on demand or should I create a
    Christopher> proxy server that will support that feature.  Maybe
    Christopher> the browser will choke?

You could always write a CGI which takes everything after it
(i.e. path_info) and use LWP to retrieve the contents through a
proxy.  Of course the rub there is that you'd need to see if the
content type is text/html and massage any URLs in it to point through
the proxy as well, and that's not going to be an extremely easy task
(you can do it with off the shelf modules in Perl, it's just not 2-3
lines to do so (for normal 72-character values of line)).

As for the access control, you want to set up an acl that's your OK
network and then do something like:

http_access allow my_net
http_access deny !my_net

The default sample squid config should have examples of this, just
search for "acl" and "http_access".