[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 12 06:16:33 EST 2004

jay wrote:

<snip>

> I would love to hear from systems
> administrators out there on the list...how did you get into your
> field?

Let's see, was a programmer in 1986 and just assumed the role.

> What do you think I need to know? How can I learn it best?

Experience is the best teacher.  That is, play with it at home your
every waking hour.  Get a couple of good books.  Running Linux - Matt
Welsh, Real World Linux Security - our own Bob Toxen.

> Is getting involved with OSS projects helpful (e.g. helping with a
> distro)?

Not from the perspective of learning sys admin, but it's fun anyway. :)

> What options are there for a guy with only a small amount of
>  "official" sysadmin experience who's willing to learn fast and hard?

Can't really help you there, self employed here.  I would think you
could get an entry opportunity, but that's a guess.  Just be sure to
note your desires in your resume' cover.

--
Until later, Geoffrey