[ale] Way OT: X-ray glasses=>Flu shots

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Nov 11 09:59:22 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Aditya Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 15:45 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> >
> > > A flu shot is $30.  Get one!
> >
> > Flu shots are like antibiotics, if you don't start taking them, you
> > don't generally need them over and over.  TOO many people needlessly
> > take pills based on bad advice from well-intentioned NON-medical folks.
> >
> > Give your bod a break: eat right, get plenty of exercise, live healthy
> > and your body will do fine on it's own.
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
>

> A lot of this information is very interesting.
>
> Why is there a flu "season" ?
> What prevents the virus from spreading throughout the year ?

I'm in _way_ over my head, but that hasn't stopped me... 8-)

During flu "season" people are indoors more, closer to each other for
longer periods of time as a result. Good way for disease of any kind to
spread. I beleive there are other seasonal stresses which act to increase
the risk of infection, but don't remember examples off hand.

As such, nothing is preventing the virus from spreading throughout the
year. Winter is simply more favorable.

As noted above, I'm posting way out of my field, and could easily be dead
wrong. If the information is important, please research it further.