[ale] Re:

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Nov 11 09:31:38 EST 2004

 wrote:
> I'm a Linux bigot and personally I would like to punish those who use
> Winbloze, IE, MS Office, and Outlook.
>
> Using Windoze is as bad as using AOL in my book.
> I hate it when people send me word documents especially ones
> that can be
> edited.

It's taken about a year of open communication between myself with the current IT staff and now they are showing a genuine interest in open source software.  Although I doubt I will be able to move them from their Exchange and NT servers in the near future, I have helped them deploy the Openoffice.org project, Mozilla Firefox, and GIMP to several desktops.  If things go well I might possibly be able to set a Debian file server up for them to test over the Christmas holidays.

As far as being bigoted about what desktop people use and whatnot, I find that I will use whatever tool best works for the situation.  In our case Windows is the only choice for the software we run.  Currently there is no Linux equivalent for the specialized software we use and no matter how much we bitch at the software companies they are not going to port it in the near future.  It's difficult to try and convince someone their company (of about 50+ people) should move to Linux when they are averaging about 20 million dollars per project with 6-8 projects running at any given time and all of which depending on the specialized software that only runs on Windows.

Moving the word processing department or maybe a server or two is feasible.  Moving completely to Linux at this time would be ascenine.

Preston