[ale] Way OT: X-ray glasses=>Flu shots

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Nov 10 17:42:01 EST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:59:35PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 15:45 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:

> > A flu shot is $30.  Get one!

> Flu shots are like antibiotics, if you don't start taking them, you
> don't generally need them over and over.  TOO many people needlessly
> take pills based on bad advice from well-intentioned NON-medical folks.

> Give your bod a break: eat right, get plenty of exercise, live healthy
> and your body will do fine on it's own.
Not true.  Sorry.

There's almost a 1:1 correlation between my getting a Flu shot or getting
the Flu over, mumble 20+ years.  That's far more than sufficient for a
good statistical analysis.

(Some virologists DO claim that allowing your body to fight the Flu on
its own while still reasonably young will allow it to do better when
older -- 65+ -- and be more likely to survive then.  This from a friend
who used to work in CDC's Level-4 lab with some of the world's nastiest
stuff.  Maybe I'll allow myself to get it once every 5-10 years but not
this year!)

> -Jim P.
Bob