[ale] ps without threads

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Nov 4 16:37:26 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 03:51 pm, David Corbin wrote:
> On Thursday 04 November 2004 03:02 pm, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > David Corbin wrote:
> > | I know that ps can show each thread as a process, or not, but I cannot
> >
> > find
> >
> > | the switch that controls this.   Specifically, my ps shows all
> >
> > threads, and
> >
> > | that's not what I want.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > ~    It's a bit odd that your ps defaults to showing threads as
> > processes; what is your platform, distro and shell?
>
> i386, Debian/Gentoo, bash

Maybe there is a newer ps for you?  That's what ps used to do for me, but it
now has the new feature.  I suspect it depends on the new threading model
used in kernel 2.6.

I get ver different results according to where I pass the -m flag:
[1021] hirsch>ps -efwww| grep java | wc
      2      42     440
[1022] hirsch>ps -emfwww| grep java | wc
     25     801    9226

Apparently eclips has 24 threads.

Michael