[ale] Its over. Maybe

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 3 21:45:53 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 21:25, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 20:55, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 20:31 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> > > The two concepts are not in any way, shape, or form analogous to one
> > > another.
> >
> > Yes they are.  Both are machines, both count/control critical functions,
> > both produce data that is analyzed by an external device.
>
> Are you blind to the notion that on one hand you have a computer that is
> used to determine how much fuel to shoot into a car engine's cylinders
> and the other you have a massive system of computers whose combined
> output is used to decide who the President of the United States is?
> Perhaps if the role of the computers in our cars expanded to, say, guide
> the car itself and were all under central control, you'd have a better
> analogy, because then you'd have a situation where the computers could
> be commanded to simply make everyone stop right where they were, or to
> even slam all the cars into each other.  If you do not think that a
> single person or organization can build and command machines to kill
> tens of thousands of people at once, I direct your attention to two
> since-rebuilt cities in Japan.

Jeff hit on a crucial point. The scale of effect with vote machines is
so much greater than that of a car computer. We are putting our blind
trust in a machine to select who will act on our behalf, in our name.

I have pretty good trust in a fork getting food from my plate to my
mouth.

I'm a bit more leary about the brakes on my car as there is no
"pre-failure detection system" that warns me befoer the pedal goes to
the floor.

"Ah", you say, "you could have the brakes inspected by a qualified
mechanic!". Which is _precisely_ the point here. So far, the "mechanics"
that have seen the voting machine prototypes and/or older models have
all said the system is crap. And the mechanics have been systematically
denied access to "under the hood".

So if one vote out of ten for candidate A were swapped to be for
candidate B in close race states and there was no way to detect the
change since the mechanics are not allowed access, it is not hard to
envision that the final outcome could be suspect.