[ale] OT: Wire Code

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 3 00:31:02 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> >From: Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
> >To: ale at ale.org
> >Date: 01 Nov 2004 14:55:53 -0500
> >Subject: [ale] OT: Wire Code
> >
> >Getting ready to run cat5e in a new house.  Do I need to run Plenum or
> >Shielded
>
> Aside from the very good recommendations of others on this
> list and if it's economically feasible for you, I'd suggest
> running conduit wherever you *might* want any said cabling,
> e.g. the blue plastic stuff we call "smurf pipe" around here.
> You could run metal conduit in places where you anticipate
> high signal interference.
>
> This will allow you to change the cabling in the future without
> it being a Major Pain.  (Been There Done That...)

Actually, and this may be a bit off topic, "If you can not get to it, you
cannot fix it". Run cable/wire through conduit when possible. Keep the
plumbing accessable without the need to rip & patch random drywall. Access
covers behind drains and valves. Insulation & thermal mass is cheap
compaired to the certainty of fuel market shocks.

Nothing lasts forever (or even a noticable fraction of that), so anything
not built to be modified/maintained is likely to be disposable. Disposable
is great for a cigaret lighter, not so great for a home.

IMHO, obviously, and YMMV.