[ale] OT: new computer components question

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 1 13:13:16 EST 2004

Mike Murphy wrote:

> I'm working on the mid-life upgrade to my gaming/experimental machine
> (which runs windows for games, various linux distros, etc).
>
> This is the machine where noise matters the most, so while I'm at it,
> I want to try to make it a little quieter. I'm looking for suggestions
> for a power supply (probably a 350w) and fans (at least one 120mm case
> fan, maybe an 80mm fan too). Anyone bought any of these lately that
> you liked?
>
> Mike

I've had good luck with Zalmans flower type coolers.  I've also had good
luck with enermax true power PS with adjustable fans.  I was able to
make a really quiet machine with these two components.  The 120MM CPU
fan is around 1600 RPM and the 90 MM PS fan is around 1800 RPM. CPU temp
is around 40 idle, 52 peak (kernel compile and the like).

CPU  AMD Athlon XP 2200
DVD ROM
DVD +-RW
2 80 gig hard drives
geforce 2   (i know, i know, don't laugh)
sound blaster live.
video capture card
assorted usb powered gizmos (scanner, joysticks, memory readers, etc)

Calvin...