[ale] OT: Interview with Great Satan

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at nubridges.com
Thu May 13 13:49:18 EDT 2004

The latest Scientific American has some interesting stuff on Bill Gates.
The "Innovations" feature is about how Microsoft is buying up all the
star talent in the industry for a pure research lab. They're also
trying not to imitate PARC's mistakes. It features a 'Q&A' with The Bill
in a sidebar,mostly talking about his attitudes toward research. "An
investment of the size we're making will only be judged 20 years from
now".  By that point I predict it will be too late for Microsoft.

The next feature is about the broken American patent system. I haven't
read that far just yet though.

-- CHS