[ale] grub problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 10 21:59:48 EDT 2004

Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Josh Freeman wrote:
>>
>>>You may be able to get the command  line from grub and find and boot the
>>>kernel that way. essentially you will be creating the boot option
>>>stanzas when you get to the grub prompt
>>
>>I don't ever get to a prompt.  I've resolved it though, as follows:
>>
>>Boot with a rescue disk.
>>mount the root partition I'm trying to get to.
>>chroot
>>grub-install '(hd0)'
>>
>>grub-install reinstalls grub in the mbr.  Apparently, RH removed the
>>previous one.  Wierd.  I told it not to install one, so it removes the
>>one I've got???
>

> You probably changed or moved the physical locations of
> files in /boot/grub.

No, I hadn't changed anything.  I was installing on a unused partition.
  I told the install to not install a boot loader.  I didn't move
anything either.  It was a fluke.  I've done this same install,
different distros at least 4 times on this box.

During the actual install, it kept asking me to swap between disk 1 and
disk 2, must have been 20 times.  Finally it claimed a disk error and I
rebooted.  Once I fixed lilo re-attempted the install and all went fine,
including leaving grub alone.  I then booted to another distro on the
box, edited grub, rebooted to my new install.