[ale] TV tuner card problem

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat May 8 10:42:30 EDT 2004

> All 4 of my bttv capture/tv cards were successfully auto detected by SuSE.

Mine isn't :(
Time to return it - Geoffrey WHAT is the best Hauppauge card you have?

> lsmod |grep bttv
>
> If this produces nothing, then try:
>
> modprobe bttv (as root)
>
> Now do the 'lsmod|grep bttv' to see if the bttv module is loaded.

Tried that before, I should have posted the result:
user at computer:~> su -
Password:
computer:~ # lsmod |grep bttv
computer:~ # modprobe bttv
/lib/modules/2.4.21-144-athlon/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: init_module:
N                                            o such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
inva                                            lid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.21-144-athlon/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: insmod /lib/
mo                                            dules/2.4.21-144-athlon/kernel/
drivers/media/video/bttv.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.21-144-athlon/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: insmod bttv
failed

> You first step is to verify that it contains a supported chipset.  Look
> on the board, there should be a relatively large chip that will be
> clearly marked with something like bt878, if it is a bttv chip.

I opened the box and looked at the card. There is no indication that it is a
"bt878."

On a sticker:
NTSC/NTSC-J
32032 Rev B326

On a chip:
Conexant Mpeg II A/V ENcoder
cx23416-12 64012309
0403 Taiwan

On the sticker UNDER the main sticker:
Frontend 40306 FY5
Microtunes 3x1 223
Al.IF [P2]  FT [AO]  LCT [P5]  FVI [G5]

Some other place:
Hannstar mv-4
94V-0

This is the first time I have seen a product with so many variations in model
name. It is different from the store label sticker, to the box, the card,
Suse's site, and various instruction manuals. I am clueless as to what this
card really is. Unfortunately, we only have Fry's here which offered this
card as the best Hauppage in stock (the other one encodes via software).
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com