[ale] TV tuner card problem

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 8 09:11:07 EDT 2004

Jim Philips wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2004 23:29, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
>>I have been soooo spoiled by Suse 8.1-9.0 that my current problems
>>amplified.
>>
>>I thought that Hauppauge TV cards were compatible with Linux, so I bought
>>one. A WinTV-250 PVR. To my surprise, it was not automatically detected. I
>>manually added it using Yast2, but it still didn't work.

All 4 of my bttv capture/tv cards were successfully auto detected by SuSE.

>>As I did more digging, I learned that I need something called bttv compiled
>>in the kernel (I think). I have searched for this "bttv" and have not been
>>successful. Moreover, it is NOT available as a package in Yast2.

You should not have to build it into a SuSE kernel, the SuSE kernel has
had bttv device support since SuSE 8.0 at least.

Your first step is to see if the module is loaded, do:

lsmod |grep bttv

If this produces nothing, then try:

modprobe bttv (as root)

Now do the 'lsmod|grep bttv' to see if the bttv module is loaded.

You first step is to verify that it contains a supported chipset.  Look
on the board, there should be a relatively large chip that will be
clearly marked with something linke bt878, if it is a bttv chip.

I know I said they are both 'first steps,' and that's because it really
depends on which is easiest for you to do first.  If the card's already
in the box, it might be a bigger pain to pull it out.  Then again, if
it's not a supported chip, you're waisting your time with the various
commands I suggested...

> When I look on my own box, I see:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/video4linux/bttv

This is most definitely a good place to look for docs.