[ale] Fedora 1 kernel upgrade

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri May 7 16:41:35 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:57:45AM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> So a system built around a 2.4.*-nptl kernel will work with a 2.6+
> kernel. But getting a kernel.org 2.4+ kernel to work will cause problems
> with out the nptl patch.

No, this is ont the case.  I use stock kernel.org 2.4.x kernels all the
time on RH nptl systems.  If nptl is not present, glibc reverts to usnig
the "old" linuxthreads implementation, which is reasonably solid for the
average joe -- but if you are tunning obscene nubmers of threads like
pretty much anyone running J2EE or whatnot.. it makes a huge difference
in stability and scalability.

RH backported it because at the time, 2.5 was pretty unstable.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL 					 JID: pitha at myjabber.net