[ale] Fedora 1 kernel upgrade

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri May 7 11:24:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 10:20, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
>

> > I am a bit confused. Do you mean that binaries have to be recompiled to
> > run under 2.6? I have built posix threaded binaries on 2.4 and they run
> > just fine on 2.6 and 2.4+nptl, and, I believe, vice versa. 2.6 has nptl
> > "built in".
>
> Let me see if I can clean up my mess here.
>
> The fedora kernel has nptl patches. It is not a native kernel.org source
> tree. The posix threads are from the later 2.5 devel kernels that are
> standard in 2.6.
>
> So a system built around a 2.4.*-nptl kernel will work with a 2.6+
> kernel. But getting a kernel.org 2.4+ kernel to work will cause problems
> with out the nptl patch.

Interesting. I've built posix threaded libraries on systems with and
without nptl and not had any problems moving the binaries from one system
to another. I thought glibc would be smart enough to figure out what you
have and use that, but I guess not. Perhaps I have just gotten lucky by
not using any problematic features or something.

> The place to get the patch is from the fedora kernel source rpm. By
> installing the src.rpm, one can then grab the patch file(s) from the
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory.

Thanks for the explination!

	bjorn