[ale] Do I need a patch cable?

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 18:59:21 EST 2004

I currently have a Netgear 4-port router to which I connect my machines
to.  CAT5 cable from NIC of each machine straight to router.  I have an
old P200 that I've placed a couple of NICs end and want to use as a
firewall with Smoothwall.

My question is, if I run my CAT5 cable to the Smoothwall box, can I just
use another CAT-5 cable (like the one going into the Netgear router) to
go to the other NIC in the Smootwall box or do I need something like a
patch cable?

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Adversity is the trial of principle.
Without it, a man hardly knows whether he is honest or not.
-- Henry Fielding

18:53:34 up 2 days, 1:09, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.16, 0.14
Linux salamander 2.6.4 #1 SMP Wed Mar 10 23:59:57 PST 2004 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux