[ale] sed & regex

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Mar 30 09:44:41 EST 2004

Hi folks,

  I hope someone can point me to the error of my ways....too difficult?  Ok, how about a hand at a regex problem?

  I have some xml files I'm trying to convert for local browsing.  "wget -m -k" almost does the trick, but the remaining files have this snippet left in them...

"handbook.xml?part" as part of an href.  The actual files have "?" in their names.  If I convert the href from "?" to "%3F" then my browser is all happy and finds the files (otherwise, it prints nasty errors).

  The question is, how to replace all the "?" with "%3F".  I tried `sed` since that seemed to be the natural solution, but it isn't working like I expected.

  I do this...

sed "s/handbook.xml\?/handbook.xml\%3F/" handbook.xml > handbook.html

  and sed really converts the string to "handbook.xml??"

  Where is the extra "?" coming from??

  Alternately, I tried
sed "s/handbook.xml\?part/handbook.xml\%3Fpart/" handbook.xml > handbook.html
  and that seems to work OK (for those lines that actually have "part" in them).

--
Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith