[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 26 22:45:56 EST 2004

Michelle Mason wrote:
> HI, I'm Michelle and new to the list.  I did not attend the last
> meeting, so when is the next NW meeting so I can attend?

April 15th, 8:00.  I hope to update the website soon.

> I'll just speak up here and make a list:
>
> Linux Security -- along the lines of security the box on the Network
> Distros geared toward multimedia and/or configuring PVR cards - Has
> anyone done that yet? Dual Boot installations

Security, most of the larger distros are doing better, but we noted that
one of the ones we demo'ed last meeting had the user logged as root.
So, anyone interested in a security presentation?  Oh Bob???? :)  Dow,
any free time on your hands?  I think it would be good to do a newbie
security presentation.

I've played quite a bit with capture cards and such, but just the low
end stuff, mostly security aspects.  There's been some discussion on
mythtv and other such apps.  Anyone interested in doing a presentation
on pvr?

Dual boot, now I can do that.  My laptop is a tri-boot.  I don't have
much use for that of late, moving mostly to Linux.  I could bring in a
windows box and convert it to dual boot.  Is that of interest?  What
distro would you like to see installed with the windows?  I've got the
latest Suse, Mandrake, Xandros, Lindows.

> My experience with LINUX is messing around with REDHAT and Mandrake.
> And I have no idea what's been presented so you may have already
> covered.

We've not done much with distro specific stuff of late.  Last month we
did the three way install, which was a bit much.  I'm a SuSE guy of
late, although I've been through pretty much all the distros at one time
or another.

How about a slack install, I can through that together.