[ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 25 09:40:12 EST 2004

Hey all, I'm running into some (more) Samba confusion. I was running SuSE
Personal 8.2, but decided to upgrade to SuSE Professional 9.0. Desktop does not
include Samba, Professional does. I thought that would make things simple.

I went into YaST and clicked Enable Samba Server, selected File and Printer
Sharing, Domain or Workgroup is Personal, and set a server name. For
authentication, I selected smbpasswd. Then I created the users with same user
names as users on the server - so they can store files in their /home
directories. Under Available Shares I allow sharing printers and directories.

When I click the Local Network icon (starting smb:/) I get an error message,
unable to find any workgroups in your local network. I am not able to see my
WinXP that has directory sharing. I also can't see my own Samba server. I can't
see the Samba server from my Win2K laptop.

I do not have a PDC or BDC and am not using LDAP. Do I need a PDC in this
environment (home use)? On Samba client configuration in YaST, I selected
Membership Workgroup as PERSONAL. I did not select "Also use SMB for Linux
Authentication." Do I need to do this?

On Samba client configuration in YaST, when I click Browse, I can see the
workgroup Personal. But when I click the Local Network icon, I can't see it.
Bruce