[ale] Mixing Debian versions

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Thu Mar 25 08:41:39 EST 2004

David Corbin wrote:

>I have a debian stable system.  I'd like to keep it "stable" as much as
>possible, but I need some libraries from testing/unstable (more modern
>versions).
>
>I know that apt supports "pinning", and mixing various version in various
>ways, but I've never quite grasped how it works well enough to be successful
>with it.
>
>How can I say, "use stable for everything", except for this pacakge or that
>package that I need from "testing". (and ideally, no more updates beyond
>version X).
>
>Thanks

You would be better off if you can find a backport of the software you
are interested in.  Backports are newer versions of deb packages that
are in unstable or testing and have been packaged to fit within earlier
versions, like woody for example.  Google for backport and debian and
see if what you want isn't already avaliable.  If so that is the safest
way to go.

Otherwise you can change your sources.list file in /etc/apt to point to
unstable or testing.  Do an apt-get update to read the new stuff in,
then apt-get install newpackage.

When you are through, change the sources.list file back to woody and do
another apt-get update.  Be prepared for problems however.  They can
happen when you mix two versions.

That said, I'm running a combination of stable and unstable myself.  It
takes some luck to keep a system running that way however.  8)

Jim.