[ale] Mixing Debian versions

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 25 08:04:11 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, David Corbin wrote:

> I have a debian stable system.  I'd like to keep it "stable" as much as
> possible, but I need some libraries from testing/unstable (more modern
> versions).
>
> I know that apt supports "pinning", and mixing various version in various
> ways, but I've never quite grasped how it works well enough to be successful
> with it.
>
> How can I say, "use stable for everything", except for this pacakge or that
> package that I need from "testing". (and ideally, no more updates beyond
> version X).

I had exactly the same question recently (surpriseing I've never done
this considering I've been using Debian for a couple years!). Here's
something I found:

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

I'll post more if I find more.

Also, you can use backports.org to get a number of new packages with
stable, which is easier to do than mixing and matching
stable/testing/unstable.

	bjorn