[ale] OT: tech support hell at Mindspring--followup

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 22 09:42:01 EST 2004

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Jim, How are you dealing with your legacy email address that others
> might know? Plus, how long did it take to move all your listservs and
>  subscriptions over to the new email?  A full day to work thru all of
>  it?  I am just curious since I am seriously planning a switchover
> and making a list so I don't forget any login that might be needing
> to send email to the new address.

I'm not Jim, but I've been through this as well. :)  I would suggest
that you want an overlap, where you retain the old address for a short
time while you get your new one setup.  You can generally change your
old dsl service to a low end dialup service in order to facilitate this
with lower costs.

The other possibility is to get one of the free web mail addresses
before you transistion.  Forward/change all your old email to the free
web mail address, continue to monitor your old address until you're sure
you've taken care of all the loose ends.  Then get your new service
setup and begin to migrate from the free web service to the new service.