[ale] OT: tech support hell at Mindspring

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Mar 16 22:44:36 EST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 19:04, Jim Philips wrote:
The first guy got noticeably  defensive when I told him I was
> using Linux.
> I spoke to no less than eight people.

I have learned to never say "Linux." I am surprised that you did - it is too
easy for them to say they don't support it, or that it is your problem (which
it was in this case). I have never had a good experience going to any company
for help with Linux.

> The Indian lady was the only one who
> seemed willing to help. The rest of these guys should be worried about the
> Indians taking their jobs, because they are just a bunch of smartass
> slackers.

While I would normally agree, in this case, I think not. They are trained to
work with the leading operating system and have human reactions when you take
them out of their comfort zone.

At least for now, have a set up that you "know works" (it could be a firewall,
router, etc.). Determine if the problem is their service or on your end. If
it is your end, come to this list - else convince them to fix their service
(usually by omitting the "L" word).
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com