[ale] GPL Question.

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 21:33:35 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:20:42 -0500
Keith Morris <graphicsguy at charter.net> wrote:

> Here is a code example of what I'm talking about...it's not removing
> the copyright, just the DISPLAY of the copyright on rendered
> pages...notice right in the copyrigh notice, I can "redistribute it
> and/or modify it"...

>From the GPL:
"If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run,
you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the
most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an
appropriate copyright notice..."

The original author still holds the copyright on any GPL code you
incorporate into your programs.  If you fork PHP-Nuke and add or modify
parts of it, you could (and should) add your own copyright notice, but
you can't remove the original.  (IANAL, etc.)

Krum