[ale] replace monitor

Jonathan Glass IBB jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:06:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 20:55, Geoffrey wrote:
> bo bo wrote:
> > How do I replace my monitor?
> >
> > This evening my Mitsubishi 17FS monitor expired. The
> > only temp monitor I have is a Packard Bell Model
> > PB2160
> >
> > On boot, everything runs OK, I see the normal script
> > as Fedora loads, and just when normally the gui loads,
> > the screen blacks out, while the machine runs fine. As
> > I imagine the logon and password prompt (but cannot
> > see at this point) I can type in name / pwd, and hear
> > the machine activity, as it normally would.
>
> I assume you are referring to the X gui?  The problem is X is likely
> trying to drive the PB monitor at rates it can't handle.  You'll need to
> reconfigure X to properly handle the new monitor.
>
> Does Fedora have a separate X configuration tool?  I don't use it hear,
> so I'm not sure what the tool is you would do this with.
>
> The other possibility is to edit the config file by hand.  It's not that
> difficult.  Locate the monitor entry an change the frequency settings to
> match the pb monitor.  Also make sure the resolutions listed are supported.
>
> To get quick access to the computer you can boot it with a rescue disk
> and the modify /etc/inittab so that it doesn't start X.  There should be
> a line that looks like this in there:
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>
> Change the 5 above to a 3 and then reboot.
>
> I hope that helps, maybe some other Fedora users will chime in.

Why not boot into single-user mode, or runlevel 3, and run the
redhat-x<something_or_other>-config tool?

At the boot mgr screen, if it is grub, highlight your kernel, then hit
'e' on the keyboard to edit the kernel.  Highlight the kernel line in
the next sub-screen, and hit 'e' again.  Go to the end of the line
(usually after root=LABEL=/) and add a space and the number 1
(single-user) or 3 (no X), and hit return to end the edit.  Now type 'b'
to boot.

If lilo boot mgr, and it has a gui, click Control-X to get to a command
line.  Now hit tab twice to see your kernel options.  Type the name of
the kernel (2.6.3) as it appears in the list, but add the space and the
1|3 after it, and hit enter.

Now you should have a standard login screen (3) or a root shell (1).
Run the redhat-xfree86-config tool to reconfigure X for your replacement
monitor.

HTH

Jonathan G.