[ale] replace monitor

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 15 20:52:22 EST 2004

bo bo wrote:
> How do I replace my monitor?
>
> This evening my Mitsubishi 17FS monitor expired. The
> only temp monitor I have is a Packard Bell Model
> PB2160
>
> On boot, everything runs OK, I see the normal script
> as Fedora loads, and just when normally the gui loads,
> the screen blacks out, while the machine runs fine. As
> I imagine the logon and password prompt (but cannot
> see at this point) I can type in name / pwd, and hear
> the machine activity, as it normally would.

I assume you are referring to the X gui?  The problem is X is likely
trying to drive the PB monitor at rates it can't handle.  You'll need to
reconfigure X to properly handle the new monitor.

Does Fedora have a separate X configuration tool?  I don't use it hear,
so I'm not sure what the tool is you would do this with.

The other possibility is to edit the config file by hand.  It's not that
difficult.  Locate the monitor entry an change the frequency settings to
match the pb monitor.  Also make sure the resolutions listed are supported.

To get quick access to the computer you can boot it with a rescue disk
and the modify /etc/inittab so that it doesn't start X.  There should be
a line that looks like this in there:

id:5:initdefault:

Change the 5 above to a 3 and then reboot.

I hope that helps, maybe some other Fedora users will chime in.