Grady Harris gharri2 at emory.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:05:36 EST 2004

Quoting ale-request at ale.org:
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:12:36 -0500
> From: Jason Vinson <vinson.lists at charter.net>
>
> Actually, Gentoo compiles java source (cpp) into java binaries from
> Sun.  They use their own optimizations which i have seen cause some
> compatibility problems, mostly with Eclipse.  I usually just download
> the binaries from sun, then do an emerge -i for the sun-j2sdk package
> (-i is for inject, like stubbing a package).
>
> Jason

I stand informed. Thank you. (Just got the CD for Gentoo 2004.0 in today's mail,
so I'll see what I decide to do at that point, maybe Friday)

> Message: 8
> Date: 15 Mar 2004 15:15:03 -0500
> From: Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>
> For what it's worth (this is after I unmerged tomcat)
>
> 	angel root # emerge -p cocoon
>
> 	These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> 	Calculating dependencies ...done!
> 	[ebuild  N    ] net-www/tomcat-5.0.18
> 	[ebuild  N    ] net-www/cocoon-2.0.2
>
> I didn't watch the Blackdown installation so I don't know if it just
> dropped a binary or not.
>
> - Jeff

I haven't had any problem emerging Cocoon--the problems start when I try to run
it. Getting it to run is the part that will be impressive. I've tried the bit
quoted below, but was not successful.

From:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html
*****
Java 1.4 configuration

Cocoon requires more recent versions of the Xerces and Xalan libraries than
those shipped with j2se 1.4. To override bundled libraries, follow these
steps:

   1. Create %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed directory. (Tomcat users use
%TOMCAT_HOME\common\endorsed instead)
   2. Copy xercesXXX.jar, xalan-XXX.jar, and the xml-apis.jar from the
.\lib\endorsed\ to the new directory created above.

Due to changes in JDBC between JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4, it is not possible to use
Cocoon built on JDK 1.3 with JDK 1.4 when it comes to database connections.
Make sure you prepare cocoon with a JDK that matches the one you will deploy
on.

*****

Grady Harris