[ale] GPL Question.

Jason Etheridge phasefx at magusaptus.com
Mon Mar 15 17:50:42 EST 2004

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 04:25:53PM -0500, Keith Morris - IQ wrote:
>> But if I want to remove these sections, even though the code says I
>> must
>> ask for explicit permission from the author to remove this, doesn't
>> the
>> fact that it is being released under the GPL allow me to do whatever I
>> want with this as long as I am not redistributing it?
> The GPL does *not* allow you to do whatever you want.  It is quite
> specific in what you can do.  Legally, the GPL is nothing more than a
> license saying what you can do with their copyrighted software.
>
> One may use copyrighted material only in ways that the copyright holder
> allows.  Copying and altering are specifically forbidden unless the
> holder
> allows you to and then only on the holder's terms.  Removing a
> copyright
> notice is illegal and could subject you to fines of $250,000 or more.

I've heard it said many times that the GPL does not place any
restrictions on Use, only on Redistribution (whether you call that a
use or not).  I can buy a copyrighted painting and draw on it with
crayon if I want to.  However, with software off the internet things
get iffy, because technically you have to Copy it just to get it, and
thus are subject to copyright restrictions and license agreements right
from the start.

Now, if the developers of this software are using the GPL and are also
trying to require additional restrictions that go against the GPL (and
I don't know if this is the case or not), then basically the license is
invalidated, and Keith doesn't have a right to copy the software at
all, much less use it.

Just my opinion.  IANAL, etc.

-- Jason