[ale] 1and1 Was:Webhosting + domainname

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Mon Mar 15 13:34:34 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 01:10:08PM -0500, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
> This is interesting, I was looking at dedicated serves last night and found
> 1and1..  their prices are incredible (49$/mo for an RH9 server that's all
> yours) but, all the sites I looked at that they host looked a bit slow.
> Further investigation showed that their datacenter is in Amsterdam..
>
> Is anyone else using them?  They are a full 30$ cheaper than anyone I can
> find, so I hate to just dismiss them altogether.. I'd love to hear some good
> solid feedback on what it's like to be a 1and1 customer.

I run a few sites on a 'root server' on 1and1 in the UK.  Pretty decent
all-round, and they have a nice setup (good 'emergency bootup' thing that
can come in handy occasionally *ahem*).  Their support staff are utterly
brainless, though, in my expericen.. may be different over here.  I run
www.fazed.com, www.bgci.org, www.x-formation.com (coming tomorrow) on the
one server (the cheapest they offer) and they seem pretty decent.
Excellent uptime so far.

Cheers,
--George