[ale] "What's So Bad About Microsoft?"

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 10:30:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 05:50, Geoffrey wrote:

> I would suggest providing facts such as when they tampered with
> evidence.  For example, when they attempted to demonstrate that removing
> IE from Windows slowed it down dramatically, the did so with a video.
> During this presentation, it was noted that the before and after videos
> were tainted in that they were presented from different computers.

Falsifying evidence at trial was one of the things I had thought of, but
that's really secondary to the main point that I would want to make,
which centers on their being illegal monopolists.  I can't really hit on
little specific differences because my likely audience won't really have
an appreciation.

One thing that I sometimes say, at risk of sounding arrogant, is that I
actually promoted and pioneered the use of WinNT at two places of work
but that after working with Linux for so long, Windows just seems quaint
to me now.  And, it does.  All I've seen in the past year or two of
Windows machines makes me wonder, why would anyone want this?  Where's
GIMP, GhostView, ImageMagick, cdrecord, Octave?  Where are my compilers
and interpreters?

- Jeff