[ale] Adaptec 2940UW bios updates

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Mon Mar 15 04:50:15 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:16:46PM -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> Jim Seymour wrote:
>
> > I am having some major stability problems after building the new system
> > and was looking to cover all the bases.
>
> If you think this is SCSI drive related (any error message?)
> look at the following:
>
> 	- Check for correct SCSI bus termination (both sides)
> 	- Card should supply termination power
> 	- Ancient cables and high transfer speeds do not mix.
>           ( Change cables or set reduced transfer speeds)
> 	- Check for correct SCSI bus termination (both sides)
> 	- Tagged queuing and old drives can be a problem.
>           (disable tagged queuing or update drive firmware)
> 	- Check for correct SCSI bus termination (both sides)

Thanks Stephan,

	I went back through the scsi system and found out I had swapped
the position of the tape and cdrom drives. The hard drives checked out
okay. This should at least help the sluggish cdrom problem. I did
contact Asus about the weirdness of the front side bus settings. Waiting
to hear back from them on that one.

Later,

Jim