[ale] FW: GrokLaw Daily Newsletter for 2004-03-09

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Mar 12 21:51:34 EST 2004

From: GrokLaw [mailto:webmaster at groklaw.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 4:42 AM
Subject: GrokLaw Daily Newsletter for 2004-03-09

This is the daily digest from GrokLaw for 03/09/04

------------------------------

Title: SCO's Memorandum of Law in Opposition to Novell's Motion to Dismiss
Author: PJ
Date: Tuesday, March 09 2004 @ 02:16 AM EST

Here's SCO's Memorandum in Opposition to Novell's Motion to Dismiss. SCO has
it on its website now and we'll have a local copy as soon as we can.
Meanwhile, here  is a transcribed text version.  Thanks to Thomas Frayne for
the OCR to text.

Here is the PDF.   Here is the Motion to Remand which they also filed and
which we are working on transcribing.  They would like the case to be heard
in Utah state court, not federal, not in front of the Hon. Dale Kimball, who
is hearing the IBM case.

Read the full article at

------------------------------

Title: LinuxInsider  on Groklaw, Part 2
Author: PJ
Date: Monday, March 08 2004 @ 08:01 PM EST

As you know, LinuxInsider printed an attack on me by Blake Stowell last
week.  Because they had not contacted me before they printed it, and because
they got a lot of letters,  the free-lance journalist, David Halperin,
asked if I'd care to do a  followup interview.  I agreed.  The resulting
article is now online.  I do have some issues with the article as printed,
which I have expressed to Halperin,  but in all honesty, he seems a decent
guy trying to understand the story and actually trying to be fair, even
though the end result, in my opinion, misses the mark a little bit.  I do
appreciate the opportunity to answer,  and I thank him  for that.

Read the full article at

------------------------------

Title: The SEC, Microsoft and  SCO
Author: PJ
Date: Monday, March 08 2004 @ 01:36 PM EST

Newsforge has broken  a story that the SEC may be looking into a MS-SCO
connection and may  have been looking into it since complaints began
arriving last August.  They tell Newsforge that they have had many such
complaints and that they take the complaints seriously. "Whether or not
Microsoft is secretly bankrolling the SCO Group for more than $100 million
to attack Linux and the general open source community through questionable
intellectual property lawsuits, NewsForge has learned that U.S. federal
regulators may have begun investigating the relationship between the two
companies -- and may also be looking closely at a number of other people and
companies connected to them through stock or other business transactions.
"Although the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) never officially
makes public when it investigates an organization, an SEC staff member told
NewsForge that complaints and tips about suspected under-the-table funding,
stock-kiting, illegal insider tra!
ding, and money-laundering involving Microsoft or Microsoft-connected
individuals to the financially struggling SCO Group have been coming into
the agency with regularity since last August. The SEC 'does not take such
complaints lightly,' the source said."

Read the full article at