[ale] GIMP text question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 12 16:29:47 EST 2004

ALErs -

I use GIMP to set up web-page graphics and for some image manipulation,
but I have never figured out how to get clean, sharp text when I print a
GIMP image out. The text always has a lot of 'bleeding' into the
surrounding image area. Basically I just used the GIMP text tool and type
in my text, and get fuzzy-edged characters when I print the image. (If
necessary I can post a couple of samples on my web space.) The effect is
probably present with screen images, but I have never been able to see it.

I've been told that the text must be rendered into the image at
essentially the resolution with which it will be printed, and the problem
won't appear. I have not managed to do this.

I don't have the problem with [say] Corel Photo-Paint in MsWin. (I haven't
actually tried this on GIMP in MsWin to check if this is a Linux problem.)

Has anyone fought this through? It would be nice to eliminate one more
thing I have to boot MsWin to do. (There wouldn't be many left!)

TIA.

 - John Mills
   1884 Ridgewood Dr, NE
   Atlanta, GA 30307-1166