[ale] tools: screen

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Thu Mar 11 21:16:19 EST 2004

A long time ago, (11.03.04), in a galaxy far, far away, James Sumners wrote:

:=The best part about screen? You can detach from the session and pick back up
:=where you left off without ever having to exit a program. Ohhhh how I love
:=screen.

I've had issues the past couple of days copying large files over a slow
link.  The problem isn't necessarily the link itself, but my ssh sessions
into the source box keep getting disconnected (VPNs that don't let me set a
default password for a physically secure machine irritate me).  I stated
screen on the source machine, started the scp and detached the screen.  Come
back several hours later and the copy's completed (after several botched
attempts).

Screen's da bomb!

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's