[ale] J2EE vs PHP

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu Mar 11 09:48:52 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:38:27AM -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm working on a big web project and am not sure which language to use.
> When would one choose PHP over J2EE?

Without wishing to be rude, I would say that since you don't know the
answer to that question (implying that you don't know the relative
strengths of each), you should go with that which you know best.  Even
with PHP's (limited) OOP support, the thinking behind each is rather
different (although, as with most things, most tasks can be handled by
either).  But a question of which to use really comes down to a decision
on the relative merits of each platform.  J2EE tends to be considered more
scalable, and also generally shows better performance in many areas.  But
then Java has overheads that PHP doesn't, and is also arguably easier to
jump into than is J2EE.  But this again comes down to 'use what you know':
I would say that for a 'big web project' either platform would be fine, if
coded properly.  And coding something properly is easiest when you know
the platform well.

--George