[ale] Request for info on mknod -- or How I ran out of device names

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 6 18:06:39 EST 2004

I am trying to create 2 device files for my fileserver. It has 3 Maxtor IDE
controller cards in it and the dmesg tells me that the 2 drives that I am
trying to use are called hdo and hdm - however they are not in /dev.  I
tried MAKEDEV hdo and MAKEDEV hdm, but it only goes to hdk or so. This is
true also on my Debian Woody Sparc64 box.  Someone on the Libranet list said
that they can do a MAKEDEV hdo just fine, but I cannot.  I have Googled and
know that I need a major and minor number for hard drives - is there a way
to find this information on Libranet Debian 2.8.1 or on Linux in general ?
I really need to use those 2 hard drives, but it looks like I have ran out
of device names.

Of course, if mknod is the wrong approach I would like to know what the
right one is also ...

TIA

Greg