[ale] Proxy server / blocking router?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Sat Mar 6 17:06:44 EST 2004

My firewall is the dhcp client (my cablemodem doesn't do pppoe) however
yes, the firewall is the pppoe client.  For DNS you put a recursive DNS
server on the firewall then just point the machines inside the network
to the internal IP of the firewall.

I use 192.168.0.0 for my internal/NAT network.  My firewall has an
internal IP of 192.168.0.1, my proxy server is 192.168.0.200, etc.  I
run a bind9 client which listens on 192.168.0.1.

You could also find a recursive nameserver at an ISP or such that isn't
likely to go away and point your internal clients at that.

Thus spake Mike Murphy (mike at tyderia.net):