[ale] Hardware probs(was Need Help w/Debian Sarge...)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Mar 6 16:39:38 EST 2004

Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 02:52:10PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Jim Seymour wrote:
>>
>>> Asus A7N8X-X (bios is most recent) Retail boxed Athalon 2600XP
>>> (BIOS says it's a 2300) 2 sticks Kingston DDR3200 512m Valueram
>>
>> That would be 400 ram, I believe the 2600xp uses pc2700 (333).  Is
>> your board running the ram at 400 or 333?  Also, the 2600xp is a
>> 2300 mhz chip I believe.
>

> The BIOS reports the memory at 200mhz single channel.  Upon booting
> the kernel reports it at close to 400mhz. I could not locate a
> resource before ordering the parts that indicated I couldn't use
> pc3200 with that processor. So at this point I am totally not sure of
> if it is okay or not. James Kinney mentioned a memory tester that
> worked from a boot disk. I have installed all the memory testers from
> Debian. None of them seem to offer a boot disk. James if you read
> this where might I find that animal?

http://www.memtest86.com/

Check your manual on the mb, mine tells me what speed memory it
supports.  As I noted, I've got an asus mb with a 2600xp+.  I'm running
it with a stick of pc3200/400, but I'm clocking it at 333.  I tried to
run it at 400 and the box would lock up.

On my asus bios there's an option to set the memory speed and the
processor speed.