[ale] Debian Sarge new hardware problem

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 6 09:44:23 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 07:43:43AM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Seymour wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Getting closer but still in text only mode. Does anyone know of an
> >ftp address to get the ATI Radeon driver? Ftp.ati.com does not allow
> > anonymous access.
>
> I could not locate and ftp site for them, but I went to their website
> and located the drivers for the ati 9200.  Unfortunately, they are rpm
> format.  Since the links are http, you'll need something like lynx.  The
> readme doc suggests debian users use alien. At any rate, here are the
> links to the drivers, I hope it'll help you out:
>
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.1.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

Thanks Geoffrey,
	I tried lynx but was able to grab the driver with wget. I'll
give alien a try. Also of note regarding my resolution problem. Near
the start of the boot messages I have.

Initializing CPU#0
Detected 2290.856 MHz processor
Console: colour VGA+ 80X25

Could this console size have anything to do with horrible resolution?
Example: When I can load the xwindow system I can only view a small part
of the login screen.

Thanks,

Jim Seymour