[ale] Debian Sarge new hardware problem

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Mar 6 07:42:55 EST 2004

Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Getting closer but still in text only mode. Does anyone know of an
> ftp address to get the ATI Radeon driver? Ftp.ati.com does not allow
>  anonymous access.

I could not locate and ftp site for them, but I went to their website
and located the drivers for the ati 9200.  Unfortunately, they are rpm
format.  Since the links are http, you'll need something like lynx.  The
readme doc suggests debian users use alien. At any rate, here are the
links to the drivers, I hope it'll help you out:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.1.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

Note the names contain the version of Xfree you're running, so make sure
you choose the right one.

I was noting that the drivers for the 9200 and 9000 are the same link.
I don't know if it would do you any good, but I've got the drivers
installed on my box.  I could list out the contents of the rpm, tar up
those individual files and send it to you.  You'll miss out on any magic
the rpm is doing, but you'd have the drivers.  Just a thought, let me
know if you'd like me to do that.

Good luck.