[ale] [OT] Quiet Laptop hard drive ?

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sun Jun 27 12:28:16 EDT 2004

> > Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement drive ?
>
> I've been pretty happy with my Seagate Momentus. It's a
> 5400 RPM drive so pretty speedy. I got the 2 meg cache
> version from newegg when it first came out. I think they
> have the 8-meg cache version available now. Anyhow it's
> very quiet, little bit of seek noise but the quietest
> drive I have used in a laptop so far.
>
> There's a site silentpcreview.com which may have some
> more reviews of drives you could troll through, they
> focus on acoustics.

Thanks

silentpcreview.com had a nice article.

They recommend the Toshiba MK4025GAS as a quiet drive.

However they did not test the IBM travelstar series that
Robert Story is happy with

Robert Story wrote:
> I like the IBM Tracelstar series...

And at least on the data sheets for the 80GN 40GByte model their
acoustic parameters are better than anything posted by the competition.
	http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/80gn/80gn.htm

Thanks again for all replies

	Stephan