[ale] linux infrastructure advice, opinions, suggestions

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Jun 17 19:37:51 EDT 2004

>Hmm. A server room with sprinklers. Make sure all of the M$ servers are
>in that room. Set up a big Linux box as an email proxy (for "backup"
>purposes only) and wait for the sprinklers to fry the M$ machines. Then
>you look good with the Linux machine handling the load :)
>
>Be sure to wear latex gloves while you're "waiting" for the sprinklers
>;)
>
>I read too much BOFH...
>

>Or better yet, use the exchange server's IE to hit a few web sites known
>for being carriers of browser bugs after the anti-virus software gets
>"attacked" by a malicious email to the admin. As the machine slowly
>grinds to a halt, offer to "take some of the load off the server" and
>blame the slowing of the system on the volume of large M$ office
>attachments. Once the load has been transfered, turn off the Exchange
>server while muttering something about "cosmic ray or sun spot
>interference" and reload the machine with a Linux distro with the M$
>theme and icons from M$

HAHAHAH.....actually, the funny thing is, my boss flipped his lid over
the sprinklers and was like "what happens if a fire starts somewhere
else in the building, and doesnt go anywhere near the servers, they're
still fried"  "That can't happen, they're computer controlled" ----- Two
weeks later, driving through the school, he sees a pantload of fire
trucks and fire marshall and everything outside the library (where the
server room is) and he says "well well" .  Turns out the sprinklers
screwed up and went off in every room EXCEPT the one the servers are in,
and he walks into the building to find the president of the University
running down the stairs soaked in shorts and a tee-shirt panicking.
"Well, I told you about the sprinklers"  "Yeah, and just like we said,
they didnt go off in the server room" - so we have a server room with
sprinklers.

-Jay