[ale] linux infrastructure advice, opinions, suggestions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 17 18:15:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 17:51, Jay wrote:

> >What are your specific obstacles to this?
> >

> The administration, pretty much.  It's a hell of a lot of politics, and
> believe me, I'd love to go back to the days when we ran a nix mail
> server, but due to a variety of political adminstration reasons beyond
> the control of the Systems Administration office, it just wont happen.
> It's nothing technical, really, just social/political.  -sad, isn't it.
> I'd think that they'd just trust the sysadmin to do his job, rather than
> insisting on giving their opinion on things they know nothing about, but
> hey, that's just me.  And that is also why our "server room" has
> sprinkler systems in it, not enough power and no air conditioning, so
> we've got servers in closets with big whooshing air vents venting
> uncontrolled air from the AC system into them just to keep things cool.

Hmm. A server room with sprinklers. Make sure all of the M$ servers are
in that room. Set up a big Linux box as an email proxy (for "backup"
purposes only) and wait for the sprinklers to fry the M$ machines. Then
you look good with the Linux machine handling the load :)

Be sure to wear latex gloves while you're "waiting" for the sprinklers
;)

I read too much BOFH...

Or better yet, use the exchange server's IE to hit a few web sites known
for being carriers of browser bugs after the anti-virus software gets
"attacked" by a malicious email to the admin. As the machine slowly
grinds to a halt, offer to "take some of the load off the server" and
blame the slowing of the system on the volume of large M$ office
attachments. Once the load has been transfered, turn off the Exchange
server while muttering something about "cosmic ray or sun spot
interference" and reload the machine with a Linux distro with the M$
theme and icons from M$.