[ale] OT: Technical schools - any recommendations

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 16 12:28:03 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 10:36, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 04:01 am, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > Wanting to make a major career change and am looking at going to a
> > technical school to get into the IS field. Any feelings from any of you
> > regarding the local Atlanta schools? I have an appointment with one of
> > them however I would rather not say which one right now.

Taking this even further OT - I just helped my oldest son register at a
technical school. It is a GREAT step for a home-schooled student to move
towards a more traditional 4 year college. It's a little difficult for a
homeschooled student getting into a state university (more paperwork,
shouldn't be that bad if you prepare BEFORE you try to go). A very simple
transition is to go to a technical school, pick up 45 credits, then transfer
in to a state university.

You just need a little bit of paperwork, SATs, Stanfords (or similar), a
transcript (my son's was written by dear old dad, me!) and Compass tests. I
was very impressed by the amount of help we received registering.