[ale] FOSS solution for POS (for pizza shop)?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 17:55:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 16:06, George Carless wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine who runs a pizza place here in Atlanta is getting fed up
> of having to pay through the nose for the point-of-sale system he uses.
> I'm trying to investigate free alternatives for him.  The only one I've
> found thus far is gtk_pizza (www.gtkpizza.org).  And that seems a little
> unwieldy and a pain to get going - not much in the way of support, requires
> postgresql, etc.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience in this area?  My friend uses
> those touch-screen monitors, but his current system is some windows-based
> crap which keeps flaking out on him.. and I'm sure he could do better.  Any
> feedback would be much appreciated..

Welcome to my world :)

The one thing GTKPizza has going for it is it is designed to be a POS
for a pizza joint (Mmmm! Pizza!)

There are some other POS systems that run on Linux and are not quite as
unwieldy. However, none of the others are designed from the ground up as
a pizza sales system.

Currently, I am involved (more every day) with adding specializations to
SQL-Ledger. It already has a POS feature in it. It is rather easy to add
the specialties like drop-down menus to select toppings etc.

Another way is Interchange (although it may be a bit largish for the
need). It has built-in credit card clearing house support.

BananaPOS is a third choice. It is used in quite a few restaurants.

All of these systems use a database backend. SQL-Ledger and Interchange
use a browser front-end. BananaPOS uses a client front-end. SQL-Ledger
uses PostgreSQL or Oracle, while Interchange and BananaPOS can both use
PostgreSQL and MySQL.

If you would like some local support, I am available.