[ale] subverting public school software

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 19 23:45:05 EDT 2004

Alers,

In Dekalb county a new middle school is about to open, Tucker Middle
School. I live near it (it's HUGE!) and know many parents with children
who will be attending next fall. As such, I received a letter today from
the president of the PTA (addressed to my business) asking if I would be
interested in donating cash or other valuable goods to the school for
its start up.

Of course loading up a flock of new computers with Linux was the first
thing to cross my mind!

Then reality smacked me and I realized that sliding that through the
Dekalb county gestapo, I mean, IT services, would be nearly impossible.

So I'll settle (reluctantly) on "The Open CD".

On the slim chance I can sneak Linux in the door, I see 2 realistic
distro candidates, RedHat / Fedora and Novell-Suse. Sadly, I don't see
Debian (too $*^%$^ complicated to install for too many newbies - no
flames please. Even Ian has said the installation is ugly), Gentoo (Hmm.
150 machines in 1 week. Nope), Slackware (tempting but critical mass for
desktop is not ready yet), Mandrake (too ~french~ OK, reality is too
many install issues on the latest release to handle by myself), Knoppix
(it's still Debian under the hood. Should be used as give-aways for the
kids) are all out for various reasons.

I can do a custom RedHat/Fedora kickstart CD pretty quickly. Does Suse
have a bulk installer like kickstart?
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>